Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
CEO of Skilld, Gen George shares her top tips for recruiting the best staff for your small business.
1. Always get to know your potential employee before deciding if they can technically do the job. For example, what are their goals? Or what is their favourite food? This is a quick way to see if there is a cultural fit.
2. Hire slowly and fire quickly. If someone is not fitting into the team or not pulling their weight, get them out as soon as possible. It will be causing more damage than you think!
3. Look for people outside of your industry. It isn’t necessarily a good thing for someone to have been in your industry for 20 plus years. Want to do things differently and have a real edge against your competitors? Then find people who are going to approach things from an angle you may not have already considered.
4. Find people who aren’t there for the salary. Money is important. Amazingly bills don’t disappear if you find your perfect job. But find people who actually care about the role and not just the pay cheque.
5. Understand what drives people. Ask what their end game is and be prepared to go on the journey to get them there. If it is to become Batman or Super Woman…. maybe they aren’t the right fit. However, if it is to become a restaurant manager, then you can train them and ‘work them up’ in your business. You can give them a sense of progression and career path. In return, you will get a loyal and hard working team member.
6. Always hire people who are smarter than you.
7. Don’t be afraid to try things out before committing. There is always a way to ‘dip your toe in the water’. Ask a potential employee for a 30, 60 or 90 day plan. How would they would hit the ground running if they got the job? Also, consider asking them to come in for a trial. If they are not willing to really work for the opportunity, then maybe they aren’t the right fit.
Remember, everyone makes mistakes when hiring. Just make sure you learn from them!