CEO of Skilld, Gen George shares her top tips for recruiting the best staff for your small business.
1. Always get to know the person from a personal point of view before whether they can technically do the job. For example: what are their goals or what is their favourite food?This is a good way to see if their is a cultural fit.
2. Hire slowly and fire quickly. If there is someone not fitting into the team or not pulling their weight, get them out as soon as possible as it us causing more damage than you think!
3. Look for people outside of your industry. Just because someone has been in your industry for 20 plus years doesn’t necessarily mean that is a good thing. If you want to do things differently and have a real edge against your competitors, find people who are going to approach things from an angle not even you would have considered.
4. Find people who aren’t their for the salary. Money is important. Amazingly bills don’t disappear if you find your perfect job. But find people who actually care about the job and not the pay cheque coming in each week.
5. Understand what drives people. Ask what their end game is and be prepared to go on that journey with them to get them there. If it is to become batman or super woman…. maybe their isn’t the right fit as you won’t be able to provide them for them. But if it is to become a restaurant manager, then you can train and work them up in your business giving them a sense of progression and career path as well as you getting a loyal and hard working team member in return.
6. Always hire people who are smarter than you.
7. Don’t be afraid to try things out before over committing. No matter what the position, you can dip your toe in the water by asking them for a 30/60/90 day plan on how they would hit the ground running if they got the job or even come in for a trial. If they are not willing to work for it, then maybe they aren’t the right fit for you and your team.
Remember, everyone makes mistakes when hiring. But make sure you learn from them!
The Officeworks Mini Masterclass for Small Business is designed to empower you to achieve your goals. This free online course features eight video lessons and is hosted by leading Australian small business owners. Combining expert insights with practical little wins to apply across all facets of your business and life. Click here to get started.